Thursday, December 4, 2008

Prorogue... yep that's a word

So I am NOT conservative in my political views. I am considerably more liberal than the majority of my friends, but I really need to vent for a moment.
I live in Canada. The best country in the world, in my opinion. One of the things that makes it great is our strong democratic history. We are fortunate enough to have the right to vote, and have the opportunity to voice our opinions without the fear that we may become targets. That said, I did NOT vote Conservative in the election that occured in mid October. Nope I did not. I was part of the 62% of Canadians that did not support the Conservative party. However, that said, I do not support this idea of a coalition. Are you kidding me? The Liberals, and NDP with the support of the Bloc? Seriously. Yes, I understand that 62% of Canadians did not vote Conservative, but that 62 is derived from the other four federal parties. Yep. We live in a country where the vote is divied up between five political parties. So in the end, 38% seems like a pretty clear number.
That said, I still am not conservative in my views, don't support Stephen Harper and everything that his government is doing, or not doing... but I think that with Stephane Dion as our interim PM, things might get a whole lot worse.

So a coalition between Jack Layton and Stephane Dion is not something that I am looking forward to. And another election... are you kidding me? Didn't the federal parties just spend close to $300 million on the one we had seven weeks ago? Aren't we in a bit of an economic downturn? Is this going to make our country the laughing stock of other nations? That we can't accept defeat, and so have to form a risque alliance? Are we being punked? Is this Survivor?

No comments: