Tuesday, July 14, 2009

The Cake That Should Never Have Been

So Cohen's second birthday was officially on Sunday, but Grant was still away at work and I wasn't going to celebrate his birthday without his daddy, so, when Grant called last night to say he would be home today, I panicked and went searching for a cake that I could whip up in no time. I felt guilty just making him a "regular" cake, when Avery got a racetrack, and also a Lightning McQueen cake. I didn't want him to look back in pictures and wonder why her cakes rocked, and his sucked. So, I decided to make a cake with a picture of Nemo on it.
Sounds like a good plan, right? Well..... here are several reasons why this is the cake that should never have been.

1. I didn't have a cake mix. I am not all fancy schmancy Suzy Homemaker. I rarely make birthday cakes from scratch. But today, I didn't have a mix, so, from scratch it was. (First clue)

2. When I took the cake out of the oven, it sunk. And not just a little dip in the middle, nope. The WHOLE middle. (Second hint)

3. I put it back in the oven, and part of it miraculously resurrected itself. When it cooled, I took it out of the pan. Actually, I took part of it out of the pan. The bottom third stayed in the pan. (Do you see where I am going with this?)

4. I decided to cut it in half, and make my 9x13 cake into a 9x6 1/2 cake. Great idea??? Nope. huge chunks started to fall off the top. So... I tried to ice them back together.

5. I iced the top and two sides with blue icing, and then ran out of that color.

6. I piped in Nemo, and then realized I had no more icing bags.

7. I started in with the orange icing, (in a ziploc bag because I was out) and was about 90% done the orange when the seam on the bag burst, and a huge glob of icing landed on Nemo's bottom fin. AWESOME.....

8. I managed to somewhat recover most of the icing, and made it look almost presentable. Then Arren came over for a couple of minutes, and whilst her and I were in my scrapbook room.... Cohen did this to Nemo's head.


Sushi anyone?

Needless to say... I gave up. I finished with the white, Grant piped in a new face (and no judgement against him... but it wasn't really that great), and I didn't even bother to ice the remaining two sides that had been naked ever since I ran out of blue. Argh.

1 comment:

Allison Orthner said...

But did it taste good???!!!!!