Sunday, April 12, 2009

10 Randoms.... Easter

My randoms this week are about Easter, and what I love and don't love about it. We had a little bit of a smaller celebration this year. Just my family, and the kids. Not even the hubby and BIL were there.... it was just us. The weather was gorgeous, and the Easter Bunny made it safely to our place.

1. In our house, Easter means (among other things..... like the resurection of Jesus), new socks, and bubbles. Those two things are guaranteed to be in every Easter basket... I took the kids out this morning after church to chase bubbles. They had a blast.

2. Turkey. I know most people will cook a ham for Easter. But, I HATE ham. I really do. I don't know why. I love salt. You would think the two go hand in hand..... so turkey, and gravy, and potatoes.....

3. Chocolate. Duh. I used to buy myself a one pound chocolate bunny, and eat it all myself. In less than two days. Gross... but oh so yummy at the same time. mmmmmm chocolate.

4. Egg hunts. We never did these as kids, but for the last two years, my kids have done them. They are way too fun. It is such a treat to see my kids out running around in our yard, looking for eggs. I love that something so simple can bring them such joy.

5. Family. This is the first time that we have ever had a big family meal at my place. We usually alternate between Grant's mom, and my parent's, but this year Grant was away working, my MIL was en route to my SIL's, and I didn't have anyone to take care of my dog so that I could leave for a few days... so, everyone came here. What a lot of work. But, so worth it.

6. Pastel colors. I am a sucker for pastels. I have no idea why. I don't scrapbook in pastels, I don't wear pastels, I don't decorate in pastels. But I love the softness of pastel colors. I guess they remind me of spring.

7. Spring. 'Cuz after spring, comes summer!

8. Candy. I am also a sucker for candy. But it can't be gratuitous, over-indulgent candy... you know, the sour gummy candies. I don't like those. I also don't like candy that tries to trick you, like candy that tastes like mints. I like good old fashioned candy made out of nothing but sugar and high fructose corn syrup.

(these last two are the things I like least about Easter.... please, don't judge.)
9. The amount of obligatory church during Easter. I know it is important, and symbolic, and a small sacrifice, all things considered. But, Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday..... it is just too much. So, this year, I was relieved when we only had Easter Sunday service in Champion.

10. The last thing I don't like about Easter, is how much time I had to dedicate to finding peanut free candy. Halloween candy was so easy to find. This was a nightmare. I ended up getting some Wonka candy, and a few gummy treats. That's it. However, in the grand scheme of things... not being able to find peanut free candy is so insignificant.

So, there you have it. Easter. Done.

No comments: